Characteristics of Effective Team Leaders
1. Communicate, Communicate, Communicate.
2. Are open, honest, and fair => Inspire Trust
3. Make decisions with input from others.
4. Act consistently.
5. Give the team members the information they need to do their jobs.
6. Set SMART goals and emphasize them.
SMART goals = Specific Measurable Achievable Realistic Time-phased
7. Keep focused through follow-up.
8. Listen to feedback and ask questions.
9. Show loyalty to the school and to the team members.
10. Create an atmosphere of growth; show high expectations; set high standards.
11. Have wide visibility, have a Vision
12. Give praise and recognition; reward team success.
13. Criticize constructively and address problems.
14. Develop plans.
15. Share their mission and goals.
16. Display tolerance and flexibility.
17. Demonstrate assertiveness.
18. Exhibit a willingness to change.
19. Treat team members with respect.
20. Make themselves available and accessible.
21. Want to take charge.
22. Accept ownership for team decisions.
23. Set guidelines for how team members are to treat one another.
24. Represent the team and fight a "good fight" when appropriate.
25. Have a sense of humor.
26. Know how to motivate team members.
DO YOU THINK YOU ARE/MIGHT BECOME AN EFFECTIVE TEAM LEADER?