Community Language Learning
1) It takes its principles from the “Counseling Learning Approach” developed
by Charles A. Curran.
2) It was created especially for Adult Learners who might fear to appear foolish ;
so the teacher becomes a Language Counselor , he understands them and leads
them to overcome their fears .
3) It follows Krashen’s Monitor Theory (Affective Filter Hypothesis) and the
Cognitive Theory where the human mind is active .
1) Build relationship
1) Tape Recording
Learning is Persons (no superior/inferior)
Learning is Dynamic & Creative
Course title : Teaching
French/ESL to Adult Learners (1st session)
Place : Private Language Institute
Frequency : Twice a week
Time : 2 hours (Evenings)
Number of Stud : 10
To be able to greet people , introduce oneself/others , ask for/give information
(The students design the syllabus in some way)
Chairs in a circle
1) Teacher greets students , introduces himself
& students introduce themselves (native language)
2) Teacher explains what students will be doing :
a- conversation in French/ESL with teacher’s help (+ time limit)
b- conversation tape-recorded
c- create a transcript
d- various activities using the language on the transcript
· pronunciation (Human Computer)
· create sentences (group work)
· conjugate verbs
· reconstruct conversation
· describe a picture
1) Teacher gives clear directions :
Student raises his hand , teacher comes behind him
Student says phrase/sentence in native language
Teacher helps him say it in target language
Record target language only
Listen to recording
2) Teacher sits and asks students
how they feel about the experience
3) They listen to the conversation
4) Teacher plays tape again + writes French/ESL sentences on the board
+ waits for volunteers to give native language equivalents
(Students don’t write anything down)
5) Teacher writes French/ESL translation
6) Teacher asks students to relax and just listen while he reads/plays the transcript
3 times .
1) Human Computer : practice pronunciation
(Stud. Raises hand , teacher comes behind him
Stud. says a word/sentence/number of sentences in any language
Teacher gives back only correct French/English and stops only when
2) Group work : create new sentences based on transcript
each group reads his sentences
Teacher asks the students to talk about the experience .
Paragraph writing or Oral Interview
(Suggestions: they would be in French/English)
1) Good evening
2) How are you?
3) I’m fine , thank you /I’m not well
5) Because I have a headache
6) What is your name?
7) My name is …
8) Nice to meet you / Pleased to meet you
9) Why are you studying French?
10) I have always wanted to study French.
11) Where are you from?
12) I’m from ….
Materials || Nada's
Teaching Culture || Teaching Reading || Teaching Writing || Motivation || Language Acquisition